Chocolate Potato Cake
- 1 Cup Butter Fluffy White Frosting
- 4 Egg yokes 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- (Do not add milk or other ingredients)
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups Sugar (divided) 2 Eggs Whites
- 1 Cup Hot Mashed Potato 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 ¾ Cups All-Purpose Flour ½ Cup Cocoa
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Cup chopped Nuts
Combine first 5 ingredients in top of a double boiler; beat with mixer for 1 minute. Place over boiling water, beat constantly for 7 minutes. Remove from heat; add vanilla, beat 1 minute.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 cup of sugar. Add egg yolks; beat well. Add potatoes and mix thoroughly. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beating until smooth. Stir in vanilla and nuts. Beat egg whites until foamy. Fold into batter. Pour into greased and floured 13″x9″x2″ baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Cool. Approximately 16-20 servings.
My guests at The Overlook Inn enjoy this warm dessert after their Fireside Basket meal – served with a dobble of whipped cream – topped with a cherry.